Obama Kente Cloth
$250.00 – $350.00
Beautifully handwoven authentic Ghanaian Obama Kente cloth available in RED or BLUE
- Womens – 6 yards
- Men – 10 yards, 1 full piece
- Made in Bonwire (Ashanti Region, Ghana)
Royal Edition (color combination most used by Akan royalty)
- gold: royalty, wealth, high status, glory, spiritual purity
- yellow: preciousness, royalty, wealth, fertility, beauty
- black: intensified spiritual energy
- red: political and spiritual moods; bloodshed; sacrificial rites and death.
- green: vegetation, planting, harvesting, growth, spiritual renewal
Symbols on Obama Kente: “gye Nyame” symbol means “accept God” and “dwennimmen” symbol means “ram’s horns” which signifies strength and humility
Kente cloth has its origin with the Ashanti Kingdom of Ghana. It is an Akan royal and sacred cloth worn only in times of extreme importance and was the cloth of kings. Over time, the use of kente became more widespread. However, its importance has remained and it is held in high esteem with Akans.
Many people are more accustomed to the mass produced version of the Kente cloth which is less expensive, often made in Asia and is sold in fabric shops worldwide. However, real authentic Kente cloth is thick in texture, handwoven in the southern part of Ghana and can be quite expensive. Thus, it is only worn and utilized for special occasions or traditional cultural celebrations.
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.